This is the perfect snack when you want something decadent and healthy (yes! such a thing DOES exist!!)
If you have ever had banana “ice cream” then you are no stranger to the rich, custard-like consistency of a frozen banana. Seriously if you haven’t tried it you need to. I can’t believe I haven’t done a post about it but I guess I just take for granted that everyone has already tried it. But seriously, google “banana ice cream”.
This is such an easy snack and would be so great for your kids too! I don’t have kids, only pets so this means Jonny and I have to eat them all. No real loss there.
This is not as much a recipe as a method. Cut bananas, freeze bananas, dips in chocolate, freeze again, eat. Once I tried this I came up with about a million ways to modify the recipe that I am dying to try.
For example, today I smushed a couple of walnut halves on top of a few of them because I really like to pair fruit with nuts and I had a jar full on the counter. But while at the bulk store today I noticed they had mint flavored chocolate chips and I KNOW I can make this taste just like one of those peppermint patties!
I think my next round I will roll the bananas in some PB2 before dipping in chocolate though because everyone knows that banana+peanut butter + chocolate = delicious.
To give these the ol’ test try I gave this small bowl-full to Jonny and although I wasn’t sure that frozen banana slices would have been a hit with him he ate them up and asked how many more I had. Hubby approved 🙂
Okay, my keyboard is covered in chocolate so I’ll get to it!
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (vegan chocolate if you are vegan)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Cut the bananas in coins, place on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet and put in the freezer for a half hour
- Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil together on the stove or in the microwave, stirring often
- Dip the banana coins into the melted chocolate and place back onto the lined pan (I used a fork for dipping)
- Return to the freezer for about an hour. They are then ready to eat or you can put into a ziplock in the freezer and they will last a couple weeks. Just make sure to keep these babies cold!