So maybe I am really into apples right now and these apple pie roll-ups are downright delicious! They are quick to make and a lot healthier than a slice of pie. And they are gluten free!
I’ve been trying to lock down some healthy gluten free snacks and with a cupboard full of these rice wraps I was determined to find a way to incorporate them. I collect these rice paper wraps and I’m not sure why I have so many. I have round ones, square ones, little ones, big ones. They all taste the same but I am addicted to stocking up on them anyways. Usually I use them for spring rolls but lately I got to wondering what other fillings I could use.
I see rice wraps all the time at the regular grocery in the sushi section or the international foods section. If you don’t see them there you can also buy them on amazon… you can buy almost anything on amazon!
I had some bad trial runs with this recipe before I had a successful batch. Rice paper wraps absorb liquid like crazy so its important to coat them in oil, nut butter. Trust me, as someone who thought butter would make these taste amazing but it made them very mushy and the paper fell apart as they cooked.
These can definitely be cooked on the stove as well as long as you use oil to cook them in and wiggle them around so they don’t stick.
- 1 cup of chopped apple
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp sukrin (or other no cal sweetener or brown sugar)
- 4 rice wraps
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Mix up the apples with cinnamon and sugar. I used my mandolin slicer to make the apples into a matchstick shape as I found these much easier to roll up than when I cut them into cubes
- Dip the rice paper into warm water until it just starts to soften (10-15 seconds)
- Put ¼ of the mixture into the rice paper and wrap up like a burrito. Repeat with the other 3
- Put the wraps on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, brush lightly with oil (not butter) and bake for 15 minutes until the outside begins to brown
- Let cool a few minutes and enjoy!