The best part is that it keeps well. You make a big batch and freeze some. Then you just reheat it in a double boiler and you’re good to go! It also holds up for a couple of days in the fridge. If it gets a little thick just mix in a teaspoon or so of water or melted butter.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup butter
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch salt
- Mix the egg yolks and lemon juice in a metal bowl and whisk until it has doubled in size.
- Set the bowl on a pot of simmering water (like a double boiler). Do not let the water touch the bowl.
- Continue to whisk, adding ⅓ of the butter.
- Then slowly add another ⅓ of the butter and whisk to combine.
- Finally add the last ⅓ of butter and continue to mix until the sauce is thick.
- Remove from the heat and stir in a pinch of cayenne and salt.
*** Note that the lemon juice is option and not required to make the sauce. Some people use more or less or mustard powder instead. Experiment with what you have and like!
Do you have a secret ingredient you add to hollandaise?