When I found the original recipe for grapefruit pie I couldn’t believe I had never thought to make it before, I LOVE lemon and lime pie and this recipe can be used to make either of those by substituting the juice.
Sweetened Condensed Milk
It is very easy to make your own sweetened condensed milk. You can check out my recipe here or you can always buy it from the store. I am experimenting with making sweetened condensed milk with other milks. Coconut milk is working out the best so I will keep you posted!
The Pie Crust
You can use any favorite pie crust recipe of yours. Everyone seems to have a family favorite and many of you like to grab one premade from the grocery store. Really any one will work. I recommend you checkout my Guide To The Perfect Pie Crust. It gives you the recipe for no-fault pie crust and also gives you some background info on what techniques work the best and why.
- 2½ Cups Sweetened Condensed Milk (600ml)
- 1 Cup Freshly Squeezed Grapefruit Juice
- ¼ Cup Lime Juice
- 5 drops Grapefruit Extract (or lemon or lime)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Pie Crust
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl ( you can use a stick blender but try not to get too much air into the mixture)
- Pour into an unbaked pie crust
- Bake at 325F for 30 minutes
- Let cool 2 hours