I made these Rhubarb Dream Bars for the first time a couple weeks ago. We were headed to meet Jonny’s family for a combination Mother’s Day/ birthday get-together with the whole family.
It’s risky making a recipe for the first time when you plan on feeding it to others! In fact, I still had no idea how it turned out until it was on the table and everyone was digging in. Luckily it was a hit. Oma (the birthday girl) said she loved it and asked for the recipe. I loved the result so much that I made another batch when our friends came over for a BBQ on the weekend and they really liked them too.
These rhubarb dream bars are incredibly easy to make. It’s only a few minutes of prep work for an incredibly impressive result. Definitely give it a try!
When it is done it will still be soft on top. Almost like a curd or custard. So don’t try to cook it until it is dry!
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup butter, at room temp
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 cups diced rhubarb
- Preheat your oven to 350F
- Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper
- Put the crust ingredients in a bowl and cut together with a pastry cutter or two knives
- Press the crust into the pan and bake for 15 minutes
- In the meantime, mix together the eggs, sugar, flour in salt (you can use the bowl you already got dirty). Then stir in the rhubarb
- Pour the filling mixture over the crust and bake for 50 minutes
- Let the bars cool and cut into squares
I think this would be really delicious if you traded out a cup of rhubarb for strawberries or blackberries. Let me know if you try this recipe, any changes you made, and if you like it. Your feedback means a lot to me 🙂