This easy roasted broccoli and cheddar soup can be made in 20 minutes and served as a main course or as an appetizer. I love to bring it for a filling but light lunch.
Jonny absolutely loves broccoli. He could eat it with every meal so when I asked if he wanted broccoli soup for dinner I wasn’t really surprised that he was all for it. I love that it is lower calorie and he loves that it is full of cheese :p
You don’t have to roast the broccoli first but I love the added flavor it gives the soup. I have made it without roasting it, with leftover broccoli as well as from frozen broccoli from the store and they all turned out great!
You can puree it until completely smooth or leave it with bigger pieces, that is up to you! We like ours a little chunkier so there are pieces to bite. I find a meal seems more filling when you have to chew it a little :p A completely silky smooth soup is perfect for serving to friends.
- 1 head of broccoli
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup waxy potato diced (new, white, red, not russet)
- 1 cup onion diced
- 4 cups chicken stock (Veg stock for vegetarian)
- 120g old cheddar cheese grated (get in cups)
- Cut up broccoli and toss with olive oil, bake at 425F for 10 minutes
- In a pot add the potato, onion and stock and bring to a boil
- When broccoli is done, add to the broth mixture
- Use a stick blender to puree the whole pot then taste and season with salt and pepper as needed
- Stir in the grated cheese and serve
I used the leftover soup the next night for a one pot pasta and it was amazing! I used 1 cup of soup and 1/2 cup of water to every cup of noodles. I will do a one pot pasta post soon but thats the basics for now 🙂