I love a warm soup on a cool fall day!! Soups are kindof my specialty. They are full of healthy vegetables, hydrating and warming. A soup is the perfect meal that can be cooked in one pot which means almost no dishes! What’s not to like?
My goal with this recipe was to lighten up the traditional fish soups and stews (think chowder). I was looking for something for a weeknight dinner that I could whip up super fast and would taste amazing. I think what makes this recipe a little extra special is the butternut squash I blend into the broth. The squash provides a beautiful colour, a sweetness and a creaminess that really adds a lot to the dish. You can definitely use pumpkin puree in place of the butternut squash or even omit it altogether but I think it adds something special to the dish.
Jonny has become quite the fisherman and my freezer is slowly filling up with fish (mostly perch). I would love to cook it more often but I don’t necessarily want deep fried fish as often as he catches one! lol. Although there is a REALLY good gluten free fish and chip batter you should check out if that’s what you’re feelin’.
What do you think of my picture today? I am always playing with different looks and food styles and today I decided to take a pic in the style of my instagram pictures. It’s a little different but something I’ve been into lately. I wasn’t sure my iphone picture would hold up to my blog standards but it’s out there and now I will just have to wait and see! <3
Alright, on to the recipe!!
- 2 tbsp butter or oil
- ½ large onion cubed
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup butternut squash puree (or pumpkin)
- 3 cups chicken, veg or fish broth (I used chicken)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium waxy potato cubed
- 1 cup shrimp
- 2 cups chopped fish of choice (I used halibut)
- Add butter to a pot, add onion, celery, garlic and sautee on med-low until onions are translucent
- Add the tomatoes, squash and broth and bring to a simmer
- Add the potatoes and simmer until potatoes are tender
- Add the shrimp and fish and cook about 5 minutes more until the fish is lightly cooked and flaky
- Season as needed and serve hot