Chocolate pudding is so easy to make that it is a wonder that anyone ever buys it in those cups or in a box. All that is really needed is milk, chocolate, sugar and a thickener like corn starch. The salt balances out the flavor so I love to add it and I think we all have a little on hand. And the butter adds a richness that really rounds out the flavors.
This is a favorite recipe of mine. It is great to make some on the weekend and put into little containers to take on lunches during the week. And another great thing about this recipe is that it is gluten free and egg free which makes it a great dessert when eating with people with food allergies.
- ½ cup white sugar
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup corn starch
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2¾ cups milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix the sugar, cocoa powder, corn starch and salt together in the bottom of a heavy saucepan.
- Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer. Continue to whisk and cook until it is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
- Take it off the burner and mix in the butter and vanilla.
- Pour into a bowl or serving dishes to cool.