There is something so satisfying about French Onion Soup. The soft sweet onions in a hearty beef broth topped with stringy swiss cheese. Mmmm
I wish I made enough for leftovers now. Luckily it is really fast to make. You want some really good quality beef stock for this recipe because that is where most of your flavor is coming from. Bonus points if you made your own.
Bone broth is so great for you and healing for your stomach! But for the health benefits you really want something homemade with all that delicious collagen in it! There are some great quality beef stocks at the grocery store too. I just don’t think this is the recipe to use a bouillon cube is all.
This recipe takes almost no work. Once you slice the onions you kinda just watch them cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring every once in awhile. It’s so easy that you can do other things while it cooks like make a side salad or drink wine or… work on a new blog post… I dunno. Whatever your thing is. Maybe you’re binge watching something on Netflix… go for it! Am I the only one who watches Netflix while I cook?!?
- 1 cup yellow onions sliced
- ¼ tsp thyme
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 slices low fat swiss
- 2 thin slices of baguette
- Add the sliced onion, thyme and butter to a pot on medium and let cook slow and low until the onions are tender and cooked through - you do not want to brown the onions, only get them soft
- Add the beef broth and cook another 5 minutes while you preheat your broiler and thinly slice your baguette or shape a slice of gluten free bread to fit in your bowl 🙂
- Divide the soup between two oven safe bowls, top with your baguette (gf bread) and pop under the broiler
- In about 3 minutes your cheese will be bubble and hot and your soup will be ready to eat! Enjoy!